Old Fri, Feb-20-04, 18:15
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc48510
In addition to that, milk [with nothing added] only has 11-12g, not 14.

I have to disagree with these folks who claim there is no such thing as a "net" carb. Especially, when it comes to Fiber. Fiber contributes no Calories and causes No insulin release. In fact, it lowers the GI of foods its eaten with. The Gov't may consider a carb a carb carb, but LC diets look beyond the title to the effect the various carbs have, and it is clear Fiber has no effect. Thus, there is no reason to count it. The other 12g in that Wrap [assuming they are refering to Subway] is Fiber. Sugar Alcohols are a little different. Our ability to absorb them, and thusly their ability to affect insulin varies. For some folks, they are almost entirely unabsorbed and cause no insulin release. For others they may be almost the same as sugar.

I totally agree. This is just junk sensational journalism.

While I can certainly see concern over sugar alcohol type AS's, fiber in *no way* raises blood sugar. Cellulose requires certain enzymes to be broken down, and humans quite simply lack this enzyme. Cellulose has no energy for human beings and therefore it cannot and will not raise blood sugar. In fact, the bulk fiber provides slows absorbtion of sugar, as you pointed out. Fiber, ironically enough, lowers glycemic load, not highers it.

Anyone who tells you fiber will negatively impact your blood sugar like sugars and starches does is quoting bad science. There is just no logical way for it to be true.