View Single Post
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-04, 05:31

Plan: ex-atkins
Stats: 175/105/115 Female 5 ft 0
BF:
Progress: 117%

There are some really good ideas here, and I wish you much luck if you make the protein powder/tuna diet!! I am though, a bit wary that the starvation possibility could lead you to cheat just through sheer hunger. I admire peachagirls commitment, but I find that if I am hungry I want to stray!!

I just thought I'd mention that an alternative is to switch, temporarily, to a low GI/ South beach later phase type diet. Such a diet is very easy to follow while travelling. It will take you out of keotosis, but you're cravings shouldn't come back. People do lose weight on this type of diet, but your aim should just be to maintain.

The benefit is that for breakfast if their is no eggs, you can have all bran (with milk!) or oatmeal (which is so cheap that it is usually avaliable at catered meal plans, I'm guessing); and for dinner PASTA (very low GI), and spag bol is great cos it contains protein. Just continue to stay away from most breads (especially white, but rye is ok), white rice (some brown is ok), potatoes. Fruits are complicated, but without learning the whole GI chart I'd just stay away from them; or stick to berries, melons, grapefruit.

The idea of suddenly eating pasta etc can be very confronting to somebody sold on Atkins. However, look at all the people that switch to a diet like South Beach and certainly don't GAIN weight! If you can face the fear of carbohydrates, I think a low GI diet is quite easy on the system and shouldn't cause cravings; and, provided portions controlled, you will certainly not gain weight.