Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 19:31
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

I think you should read this...
http://www.dvdmon.com/pp/cholesterol.asp

Your total cholesterol is high, but like Doreen said, total cholesterol is not an accurate measure of heart disease risk, and an antiquated way of measuring it. Ratios between HDL:total cholesterol as well as triglycerides and HDL are thought to be more important than total cholesterol.

Your HDL is extremely high, and the higher the HDL the lower your risk factor (meaning it is better to have higher total cholesterol if the ratio is equally low.)

Second, your HDL:Chol ratio is about the same, and well below any risk factors.

Third, check the ratio between Triglycerides and HDL. The lower the ratio between Trigs and HDL, the more likely it is that the LDL in your blood is the sort that is thought to not be dangerous (and this is because the "bad" LDL has a hand in creating Triglycerides). Remember, LDL is a figure which is derived of everything that isn't HDL. Not all LDL is the same, there are many subcatagories. Some types are protective. Some are neutral, and others still are dangerous. High triglycerides relative to low HDL is a very important risk factor because it means you have a lot of dangerous cholesterol vs very low protective cholesterol.

Your old ratio between Trig:HDL was roughly 1. This is considered good (ratio should be under 5, and ideally under 2).

Your new ratio is .8. This is even better, because it means you have relatively more protective/neutral cholesterol than dangerous ones.

All in all, your results are about the same as they were before, in fact better in some areas. I wouldn't let the high total cholesterol worry me too much. Because your ratio between triglycerides and hdl is so improved, it is likely that the extra LDL is the protective kind.