#14   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 16:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCFletcher
A 100% tax on sugar would be a good idea...no make that 200%.
I'm so fed up with the 'nanny state' - I really don't want Blair telling me what to eat, drink and think. It gets silly here. You can only buy aspirins 16 at a time in case you want to top yourself. I wish they would back off.

I don't know what your country does...But, here in the US, the Gov't actually subsidizes Sugar [by subsidizing the Corn Indsutry.] Then, they bitch and moan about Obesity and all the money it's costing them. If they were smart - and yes I'm aware "Government Intelligence" is an oxymoron - they'd stop subsidizing Corn and let the price of Sugar set itself. The price of Corn Sugar would likely rise to a level higher than Sucrose...

That would raise the price of many junk foods. But, most importantly it would reduce the wide-spread use of Corn Sugars...which I believe are actually slightly worse for you than Sucrose. There'd be a return to Sucrose [as the primary sugar in packaged foods,] which is marginally less damaging to the body. But, more importantly...the prices would rise somewhat, reducing the affordability of these Junk Foods.