View Single Post
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 16:04
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

I do agree that it simply makes no sense to assume sugar alcohols don't affect blood glucose. By definition they are metabolised into glucose, and therefore must require both a slight elevation of glucose and insulin to mobilize it.

However, what this guy expects us to believe is that all carbs are equal. We all know thats not true. 11 grams of plain white rice will not affect your body the same way as 11 grams of spinach coupled with fat. I know for a fact, from personal experience, that just a tiny amount of pure high glycemic carbs will mess up my blood sugar, whereas a larger amount of lower glycemic carbs might not. Sugar alcohols are very, very low glycemic. This is because they are both incompletely digested (some of them carry half as many calories as a regular carbohydrate gram) and metabolized slowly plus they usually come with fat. While I agree, sugar alcohols shouldn't be completely discounted, I don't think they should be completely counted either. IMO, 1 sugar alcohol gram should be .5 to .25 of a regular carb. Some people with high or moderate CCLL (like me) can eat them, not count the sugar alcohol carbs, and have no problems at all.