View Single Post
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 10:48
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I was curious about this too so I bought a monitor to check out the theory. Nothing! No rise in blood sugar. So I started thinking about it...

Artificial sweeteners are mainly in desserts. After eating and feeling satisfied - in other words, I left no room for dessert - I would have dessert. Low carb desserts when they're cream, butter and cream cheese based contain a whopping amount of calories, so I was adding a huge amount of calories to my daily intake. I know calories are not supposed to count, but in some cases they do.

I was overeating. I was happy with what I ate but wanted something sweet. My body was quite fine with protein and vegetables but I wanted more! And it wasn't more protein and vegetables. Pigging out won't help me lose fat, especially if my body has sent me the satisfied signal. And because I like the sweet things so much, I would want to eat more of them because it was pleasurable.

I am addicted to sweets. Sugar makes me high and I was a sugar junkie for a long time. Artificial sweeteners are methadone for me. I get the pleasure but not the buzz. So when I eat artificial sweeteners on a regular basis, I keep myself attached to the past. In the past, I was fat and miserable. In the present I'm not. I want to stay in the present and keep moving forward.

Karen