View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 00:12

Plan: Hypoallergenic diet
Stats: 117/112/- Female 64"
BF:
Progress:

Hi Candyapple. So sorry about your news, and I wish I could do more for you.

I looked up in my "Nature's Medicines" book under kidney stones (pp. 524-526) and it suggests the following for prevention (not cure of existing stones, mind you--sorry):

TONS of water. Even more than you're probably already drinking. But be careful not to drink more than 20 oz. in a half-hour period (I think it's 20 oz., but you may want to look that up and double-check) to avoid hyponatremia (essentially overdose of water leading to excessive dilution of electrolytes and consequent swelling of the brain--in other words, BAD STUFF).

500-1000mg of magnesium a day (largely for prevention, since magnesium helps to regulate calcium levels in the body).

25-50mg of B6 a day, as an aid to the magnesium.

Limit Vitamin C to no more than 2000mg per day, since excess C can form compounds involved in creating stones.

The article also says to avoid spinach, beans, parsley, tea, and coffee due to their high levels of oxalates (components of kidney stones). And it stresses that you should have a blood test done to determine whether your problem is calcium or maybe some other factor.

I'm no doctor, of course, so use your own discretion with that advice. I really wish I could be of more help. Hang in there, and by all means, if you feel your doctor isn't being diligent enough, get a second opinion. Some doctors have different priorities with various ailments, and kidney stones may just not be very high on your doc's list. I know a month would seem like an awfully long time for me to wait too, and I'd go out and get someone else to take a look at me (but I'm pushy that way with doctors who don't take action when I think they really should ).