Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 20:16
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by black57
I dunno, it really seems to me that there would be no insulin response without sugar, actually, being in the bloodstream. Insulin aids in "pushing" the glucose into the cells when they are being stubborn. The more stubborn these cells are the more insulin is need to do the job, hence the term, insulin resistance. Therefore, insulin won't spike without glucose being present in the blood stream. IMHO, any other reaction could be compared to Pavlov's dog. The taste of something sweet could easily lead to an instant craving for more sweets.

Besides, not all carbohydrates are sweet in taste. If you have ever tasted the glucose that is made for diabetics it is hard to believe that it would cause any type of insulin spike. But any carb that is absorbed into the bloodstream is treated equally.If you eat protein with a carb, it will slow the carbohydrate's absorption into the bloodstream, therefore slowing the spike of insulin. JMHO.

Black57

I agree. I think people who feel aspartame causes physical cravings are actually experiencing psychological ones. It makes no physiological sense that your body would produce insulin when blood sugar was not actually elevated.

Physical or psychological, if something causes you to lose your willpower it is better if it is avoided, IMO.