View Single Post
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 16:17

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

[QUOTE=Kristine
He's talking a lot about the FDA and labelling rules... how about some facts? I'd like to know if and how sugar alcohols are absorbed and how they're metabolized. What affects their absorption? How many calories do you get out of them? Isn't that more important than squabbling over how they're being marketed?
[/QUOTE]

I agree Kristine. Lots of long-winded (and self-promoting) stuff there about how the labeling came about and the labeling laws, but absolutely no reference to where he gets his information (as in...ahem...studies).
Okay...so you don't believe the "net carb" label. Why? On what do you base that? Why can some people eat them and not have a problem while others can't? How digestible are sugar alcohols (Partially? Fully? Only in the presence of a full moon? What?)? How many calories will a sugar alcohol provide? Is this true of all sugar alcohols or are some more digestible than others? Do all sugar alcohols provide the same amount of calories? If not, what is the amount provided for each sugar alcohol out there? Forget the opinion...give us some hard facts that we can apply!
I gather from his article above that he feels that glycemic load is more important than glycemic index, but they both play a part in how your body responds.
I do wish he'd learn to say what he has to say more concisely and without all the self-promotion. If his book is anything like this article, I don't think I'd be able to slog through more than a chapter without my eyes glazing over. I'm reminded of a line from the movie Amadeus where the benefactor doesn't like the music and gives as his reason: "too many...notes".