View Single Post
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 17:17

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Its not that anyone is trying to hurt me but more like I feel like I have no right to be upset over it. I made myself get fat, I made myself get to 250lbs and now I am losing it and working hard at it but I feel I have no right to get hurt when someone points out to me that I am fat but I still do.

My Journey...I don't see it as a matter of whether or not you have a right to feel hurt when someone comments on your weight. You have a right to feel any way you wish...they're your emotions! There is nothing wrong with feeling offended when someone makes a careless, hurtful comment.
Here are some things to think about, though.
Are you, in a way, agreeing with what they are saying and then proceeding to beat yourself up over it, telling yourself, "They're right. I'm fat and I did this to myself and that makes me a bad person."?
Stop! It's not true!
Yes, it's true that most of us allowed ourselves to get as large as we are, either through ignorance of the effect that the foods we were eating was having on our bodies or through eating too many/too much of the wrong things. Yes, I'm aware that weight gain can also result from circumstances beyond our control as well (medications, thyroid conditions, PCOS, etc...). But either way, our size does not determine whether we are a "good" or "bad" person.
What makes you a wonderful, unique person is who you are, not what you look like!
Eleanor Roosevelt once said, "Nobody can make you feel inferior (and I'll add bad about yourself) without your permission." I've said this before, but I think it bears repeating: I think many of us need to stop giving others permission to make us feel bad about ourselves, especially when so many of us have good reason to feel proud instead.
Intead of giving yourself negative messages, how about focusing on the positive ones? Instead of saying, "I did this to myself", say instead, "Yes, I am still overweight, but I have worked hard and accomplished much. I have taken control of the situation and am doing something about it. I have much to be proud of even before I reach my goal!".