Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 12:45
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc48510
RDA and DV are not the same thing...RDA is the amount they consider "sufficient" to meet the needs of the vast majority of folks. DV is the amount they suggest you take in. In effect, they are saying that 130g is sufficient, but you should take in 300g. They base the RDA on the falacious assumption that the Brain needs that much Glucose to function properly.

the only thing the food pyramid is based on are corporate interests.

Starch/sugar = cheap to produce;
Processed "healthy" starch food = higher profit margins due to low ingredient cost;
Grain derrived sweetners and bulkers like corn = one of americas biggest native crops...

Therefore, if the people are eating a lot of "healthy" refined corn bulked/sweetened foods, that = $$$$$ for corporations.

I honestly don't believe for a second the obscenely high grain recommendation was believed to be healthy by the people who came up with it. Sure there are a lot of dittohead doctors and nutritionists and journalists and laymen out there who parroted back the advice and honestly do believe that is the way to go; but, I think the people who derived it knew exactly what they were doing.