View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 11:26

Plan: atkins
Stats: 136/127/125 Female 66 inches
BF:32/25/20
Progress: 82%
Default Omega 6

I have never done the South Beach Diet, but I did subscribe to the newsletter sometime ago, so I had this delivered to my email this morning.....

Omega-3 Vs. Omega-6

By now you've heard a lot about the benefit of omega-3 fatty acids, found in foods such as fatty fish, flax seeds, and canola oil. But what's the deal with omega-6s? Where do they fit into the picture, and are they as important as omega-3s?

Omega-3s and omega-6s are known as essential fatty acids. That's because these polyunsaturated fatty acids cannot be made by the body and, therefore, must come from the diet. Omega-3s and omega-6s have different chemical compositions, hence the different names. They also play different roles in the body.

While omega-3s have been shown to protect against stroke and heart disease, omega-6s—most commonly found in vegetable oils—are converted in the body to a class of hormones called prostaglandins that help regulate inflammation, blood pressure, and other body functions.

Foods prevalent in the American diet (processed foods and some snack foods, for example) contribute more omega-6s to our diet than we need. Americans, in fact, consume considerably more omega-6s than omega-3s. A diet too high in omega-6s and too low in omega-3s may theoretically promote cardiovascular disease, cancer, and autoimmune diseases. To keep things in balance, it's important to maximize your intake of omega-3s. The South Beach Diet encourages this with its emphasis on choosing the right carbs and the right fats.

My question is, what type of foods do the Omega-6's come from and if I am using a Super Omega Complex on a daily basis,, how do I know if I am geting to many of these Omega-6's? Or is the above statement even true?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links