Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 09:34
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by she_laughs
We put our chubby cat on a diet. Not realizing she had been eating so much of the other cats food, the change in calories was more drastic than we had anticipated. Her body shut down, and she became diabetic.

Cats don't know how to explain how they feel, which makes it difficult to gauge when making a dietary change. Yes, your cat will be healthier if you can reduce his/her weight, but please be careful. Giving insulin shots to a cat twice a day is not pleasurable (especially for the cat). A very gradual change in diet is probably best. I would check with the vet for recommendations first.

While I was researching this I read about the fatty liver syndrome that sounds like your cat has. The advise I got on avoiding that is to make sure your pet is eating plenty. If they go into starvation mode it can bring this one, if your pet was overweight.

Well, my fat, but growing slimmer kitty, is eating quite a lot. Although just like with me on my lowcarb diet, his appetite seems to be shrinking a bit now that he is a few months into it. So I don't think he is in any danger of having that happen.

Diabetes... well, I can't help but think feeding a cat a high carb diet, which is totally unnatural for them, is going to play havoc with their insulin and glucose. I think my chubby cat was probably going to end up diabetic too. Hopefully this will prevent that from happening.

BTW: Lots of great info at this site, but you have to have a Yahoo account to get in: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RawCats/