Thread: CHITOSAN?!?!?
View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-19-01, 13:00

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 52%

I got the following info for you from this website, http://talk.to/trainerdan I don't know much about Chitosan but when I have questions about supplements, I check the supplement reviews on this site. Hope it helps!

Chitosan
Does it work:
Studies on rats had good results.

Dosage:
Studies used 7.5% of total diet from chitosan

Our group:
We won't use it. The fact that it blocks fat absorption means that it will disturb the absorption of fat soluble vitamins. We feel that is too much risk for a possible benefit.

Short Version:
Chitosan is a natural agent extracted from chitin (a by-product of crustacean shell extract).

It is used to lower cholesterol, and more recently as a fat-digestion inhibitor. However, to be used as a fat blocker, chitosan must be used in large amounts (7.5% of your total diet must come from chitosan to get this benefit, according to studies). When used at the proper dose, chitosan HAS been shown to block up to 26% of the fat absorption in the small intestine.

The downsides:

(1) By "gelling" this fat, you will affect the absorption of your fat soluble vitamins A,D,E, and K.

(2) Some research has shown that chitosan may decrease calcium absorption.

(3) Since it is a seafood-based product, it may cause allergic reactions in some people.

Long Version:
None yet.