Old Sat, Feb-14-04, 14:41
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheWooo
Liz, I think for all overweight people the reason they got fat is both emotional and physical. You can't get addicted to carbs unless you were abusing them in the first place. For some of us (such as myself), the emotional component is less important than the physical component. These types lose weight easy and rarely if ever cheat. But, just because it is less important for us, doesn't mean it is not there.

Please don't try to second guess my psychological state. When I was your age, I did not have a weight issue. I did not have a weight issue until I was 27 years old and got pregnant with my first child. I did not suddenly develop psychological problems when I got pregnant with my first child -- my metabolism changed and, yes, the way I ate changed because I took the advice of the government and started eating more carbs and less fat (this was back in 1985). Yes, we all have an emotional relationship with food. We are human and this emotional relationship with food starts at birth -- watch a nursing baby with its mother. Food is a way we nurture each other and nurture ourselves. I am making a nice dinner for my family for Valentine's Day -- that doesn't mean that they or I have psychological problems that will lead us to get fat.

Yes, I abused carbs because my body cannot tolerate them and I didn't realize it. Believe it or not, I never read anything serious about low carbing until July 2002 and as soon as I read about it and realized what was going on, I stopped abusing carbs with absolutely no difficulty at all. I thought I was supposed to eat lots of carbs because I (for reasons I can no longer fathom) believed the USDA food pyramid. That is why I am fat. Please don't tell me that you understand me better than I understand myself.