View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-14-04, 11:07
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

One more thought. The people posting on this board seem to be divided between those for whom discovering low carbing is like a lightbulb going off in their head (they suddenly understand why they got so fat, change their behavior, and start losing weight) and people for whom low carbing is much more difficult (they have tremendous difficulty sticking to low carb eating and post a lot about falling off the wagon). I fall into the first group and I think that most of us in the first group probably gained weight for purely physical reasons -- we were eating incorrectly for our bodies and didn't realize that. Once we realized it, we were able to fairly easily change our eating habits. People in the second group MAY be more likely to have psychological issues related to the weight gain that they need to deal with. I'm not saying they all do, just that if there are people with psychological issues that caused them to gain weight, they probably fall into the group that finds low carbing more difficult.

If you do think you are having psychological issues related to weight gain, I highly recommend Dr. Phil's book. He focuses on how to change your thought patterns now, rather than digging into your past to find the origins of those thought patterns. I like his attitude.