Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 17:17
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALEWIS
Gotbeer, I thought that too at first, but don't forget that they are not specifying "lean meat" at the bottom of the pyramid, so presumably one is getting a healthy portion of fats from those sources anyway...so that would push additional fats a bit up the pyramid perhaps? And the AN research showed that their overall diet consisted of about 20% saturated fat and I imagine a lot of that is coming on those steaks and chops..

But was also surprised that nuts are higher up...perhaps because of calorie density?? I didn't think that was an issue tho...might be a good question to pose to AN.

Val

Don't forget that all the fruits and veggies you eat on atkins have very little carbohydrate, so they are all lower calorie (with the exception of high-fat non-animal derrived products like avocados and nuts).

4 servings of atkins friendly veggies is at best less than 100 calories, right? 3 servings of dairy fats and oils is easily over 3 times as many calories. So, in the end, daily percentage of calories from fat and oils is actually much larger than calories from veggies and fruit, even though you may be eating a lot of veggies and fruit servings.