#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 06:02
Registered Member

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Unhappy High-carb partner

How do you deal with living with a partner who eats lots of simple carbs and isn't interested in low-carbing? That's a problem I'm dealing with now. I'm on a diet similar to South Beach, but my boyfriend isn't interested. He eats lots of bread and sugar all day and doesn't want to give it up.

Meanwhile, I'm doing well with very little bread, hardly any sugar, and quite a lot of meat, oil and veggies. But he still eats his bread, pasta and potatoes on top of the food I cook for us, so now he's gaining weight while I'm losing.

Yesterday I had a little breakthrough. I made hamburgers for us, and he commented on the fact that I ate mine with just a slice of wholegrain bread. I told him that bread and sugar made me gain weight and feel bloated, and he wondered out loud if that could be why he gains weight and feels bloated. But he's still not convinced. Some of his goth friends have told him that his problems are caused by eating red meat, and he's more inclined to believe that. But he doesn't eat red meat every day, however he eats sugary cereal for breakfast, lots of white bread for lunch, uses sugar in his coffee and tea (of which he drinks a lot), then he often has a sandwich later in the day, and then potato or pasta with dinner. Yet he still doesn't make the connection.

Actually, ranting like this has made me realize that I haven't put it to him quite like that so far. Maybe I should just tell him what I just wrote. But still... I'm worried that I'm causing him more harm than good by cooking according to my low intake of simple carbs because now he gets both carbs and fat in large amounts.

Has anyone else been in this situation? If so I'd like to hear how you handled it.
Sponsored Links