View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 08:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

I understand you're being frustrated with a slow rate of loss, but yo-yoing will never get you your results.
With so many people being able to skip exactly these meds with this way of eating (heartburn, blood pressure & diabetes meds, among others) I'm sure it can at least improve your condition.
If the only reason you leave Atkins is because of the slow rate of loss, I would advise just thinking long term, sticking with it, and monitor your medications with an eye to reducing them as your body responds to this way of eating. Perhaps, since you don't have so very much weight to lose, your loss rate would be slower than many other people's, and the underlying conditions & meds might be a factor.

It seems to me your body is not so dysfunctional as to respond to carbs with great gains in weight, but it is certainly not happy with your present nutrition package when it gives you HBP and indigestion. A good low carb plan can heal the metabolism, but you might have to be patient.

If it is hard to stay on Atkins for other reasons, try a new plan. Many people report great results with CAD or a Paleolithic plan. Personally I'm (Magnum!) 44, lost about 40 pounds, my digestive upsets cleared up on Atkins, and my blood pressure is optimum. I wasn't taking meds, but this experience might suggest that low carbing WILL work for you, you simply have to let your body adjust to it.

Remember, pounds lost while eating good food you enjoy, no matter how slowly they come off, are pounds that you will NOT see again.