View Single Post
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Apr-18-01, 21:00

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Wink Pretty much the same...

There is an initial 14 day plan, that has 3 meals a day. The book talks about insulin and the effects on the body, it discusses insulin resistance, and type II aquired diabetes, it talks about the changes your body will go through when you get away from a high carbohydrate diet. There is discussion about why eating lots of carbohydrates leads you to constantly be hungry. Lots of things like that.

One of the more interesting chapters in the book talks about our ancestors and refined sugar.

Really if you think about it, our bodies are the products of quite a bit of evolution over time. For a LONG LONG LONG time our ancestors didn't have things like refined sugar, refined starches, microwave meals and things such as that.

They ate natural things, things they grew, things they hunted and killed, sometimes they had feasts, sometimes they had famines, and their bodies had to be able to adapt and survive all of that. Our digestive systems are a legacy left over to us by our ancestors. We live in a time of eternal feast, has anyone in this forum ever experienced a time of famine first hand? (And no, I'm not talking about dieting)

To me, it seems the focus of Sugar Busters seems to be in encouraging people to get back to preparing their own meals from basic ingrediants like meats, vegetables, herbs, spices etc...

Another thing I read about was milk...

Have you ever paused for a moment to realize that we (humans) are the *ONLY* mammals on this *ENTIRE* planet that drink milk after our infancy? Why do we have an *ENTIRE* dairy industry (I live in the USA) telling us that we *NEED* milk to be healthy? Why are we (humans) the only mammal on the planet that needs milk after infancy to be healthy?

We don't, and thats a concept that Sugar Busters tries to get across. Basically, the food industry has been lying to us, trying to convince we need things we don't, trying to convince us that the junk they are pushing on us is healthy, when its not.

Don't you find it odd is that there are so many different points of view about diet and losing weight? Why are there so many conflicting points of view? I'll tell you why, because no one *REALLY* knows the entire story of whats going on in our stomachs. I don't care how many fancy letters they have in front or behind their names.

In France, they have a saying, "Potatos and carrots are for pigs.". Is it any wonder that we (Americans) are getting fat eating that stuff?

Sugar Busters has a bunch of low carbohydrate recipies, and it tells you to avoid things like potatos and carrots and starches and refined sugars and refined foods.

Instead of quick meals, now I go to the fridge, get out some meat, some veggies, some herbs and spices and cook it up on the oven. I'm not constantly hungry like I used to be, I don't have energy spikes and energy droops anymore, and I am losing weight. (my clothes are getting baggy)

But in the back of my mind I wonder to myself, "Am I feeling good and losing weight because I'm eating low carbs, or is it because I'm simply eating 2-3 healthy, natural meals a day?"

Maybe I think to much.

- Paul