View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 10:38

Plan: South Beach-ish
Stats: 170/134/120 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 72%

I found this interesting on another post. I never really thought about it. So some of the cheese I'm eating in one serving might have 0.9 grams of carbs and manufacturers may list 0 grams of carbs on the package label. I guess I need to be careful because labels are sneaky!
Love,
Brittany

“Labels tell Lies!”

"Welcome to the real world of "labels tell lies". In the US – but not in Canada - manufacturers are permitted to list a food as zero carbs if the count for a "normal" serving is less than 1, even if it's 0.9! For example, a "normal" serving of heavy cream is considered to be 1 Tbsp (15 ml or ½ fl. oz) they will list it as 0 because the count is less than 1. Truthfully, it's not a big deal if you're ONLY using one single Tbsp, but if you're using several Tbsp, and maybe also using the cream in recipes, those partial grams of carb can add up over the course of a day.

Cheese is another food that often has less than one gram of carb per 1 oz serving, but the label will say zero. If you eat 3 or 4 ounces, that can add up. The same goes for coffee.

This is unfortunate, because a lot of folks think they're only eating 20g carbs ... because they honestly believe these foods contain zero carbs and eat way more than one "normal" serving."