#26   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 10:25
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

Kent
Actually I went into the test with no preconceived notions. If I thought about it I probably would have supposed I was a mixed type because I like carbs and have to have them to feel well. That's a different issue than the fact that if I were not on CAD, carbs as I was eating them were not good for me and ultimately could have harmed my health. Many of the questions I really had to consider and had no idea how they would relate to or reveal what metabolic type I am. I deliberately answered the questions, as it told me to, as I am if I were not on any diet therefore, by your reasoning, I should have been revealed as a carbo type. I was not.

Carb addicts are not obese because the carbs make them feel better and so they love to eat them!!! That is much too simplistic. Rather carb addicts have a chemical reaction and insulin response to carbs that make them never satisfied or satiated no matter how much/many carbs or food they eat. That would not make anyone feel better!!! Abnormal, crazy, frustrated, pathetic, and devastated maybe!!

Your statement that hypoglycemics always test as carbo type is not true either. Many hypoglycemics on the board have tested as protein type also. I've told you it isn't just a matter of which foods do you crave or which foods make you "feel" good, it's a matter of which foods make you energized and which do you perform better on. I've yet to meet a carb addict or a hypoglycemic who feels energized or performs better on carbs. Rather they crash and become lethagic. The good feeling of carb ingestion is a fleeting and short occurance.

Kent I think you are making too many blanket statements here. When dealing with people and biology, situations/factors are rarely "always" and "never". Otherwise microorganisms would never change and evolve. Tell that to the AIDS virus and SARS!! I believe that people are unique in the individual and that their biological chemistries are also unique. I further believe that humans are very adaptable and have had to be to survive and thrive. And humans have thrived. Humans have thrived on all kinds of diets with all kinds of protein:carb:fat ratios. I acknowledge that and to me The Metabolic Typing Diet explains the differences I have always seen and pondered.

I feel no shame. I have an open and inquiring mind. I know and have seen that what works for me might not and often does not work for the person beside me. I would not suggest to someone wanting to try lc that lc does not work!!! LC does work, and very successfully too, for the people for which it's metabolically suited. However, I stand by my statement that this is not a one size fits all diet world!! LC does not work for all!!!

There are fanatics on all sides. Having a closed mind to other realities doesn't change either the relative truth or someone else's reality.

Oh, BTW, re where are the 36,000 low carbers out there to dispute this nonsense. There was a discussion on this a while ago and many low carbers thought the concepts made a lot of sense and explained situations they had observed themselves.