#2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-17-01, 11:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%
Smile Hello!

Hi, Dominic, and welcome aboard!

I don't think it's unusual for men, including young men, to low-carb. No more than it is for *anyone*, male or female, younger or older, to low-carb - so you're in with an elite group!

In my experience, I think it's just more likely that women (in general) feel more comfortable than men talking about personal issues, especially on a public forum like this. Too bad, because if men don't join in, they can't get the support and information they need. Having said that, there are a few guys on this board, including our illustrious Wa'il (our Revered Web Master and He of the Famous Bread Recipie).

I know 'no beer' can be a problem for some. Fortunately I hate the stuff, so it's made no difference to me. That doesn't mean you can't drink at all, however. A glass or two of dry red or white wine is OK now and again, as is hard liquor such as rum, whiskey, etc. - as long as it's not sweet or mixed with anything with sugar in it (diet pop, mineral water, etc. is OK). So there you go, off to the pub with you! Just don't eat the pretzels (peanuts are OK).

As for 'safely' eating carbs again...I don't know. If you're a young guy, and if you exercise regularly, you can probably get back to eating small servings of carbs, once in a while. Check out the chapter on 'maintenance' in Atkins's book *New Diet Revolution*. Many of us find that adding too many carbs back into our diets, even when we reach goal weight, cause us to start gaining weight. But everyone's different.

Anyway, do keep checking in and keep us posted on your progress!

Rachel