View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-04, 13:10

Plan: my own
Stats: 253/176.0/153 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

Gm all!

Blu- I don't know that people "intentionally" set themselves up for failure, but I do believe certain things happen that they don't foresee when they start this program! I was just reading part of one of the Eades books and the authors state and i quote here..." If you're a woman, you can expect to lose an average of 2-4 pounds per week- usually a little faster at first. That means that in 30 days, on average, men following a corrective low-carb diet can realistically expect to lose 12-20 pounds of fat and women about 8-16 pounds." They go on to say..." At 15-20 pounds a month, simple math tells you it will take a couple of months to drop 30 or 40 pounds, five to six months to drop 100." Now lets say you were a person who was just starting this plan...welll...that sounds too good to be true...100 lbs. in 6 months! WOW! So you start the plan believing that they are telling the truth, just like they have told the truth about how good and healthy the low carb diet is...how it will correct all your medical problems, like high blood pressure, high cholestral, high blood sugar, etc etc. The first week or two usually go quite well and you lose up to 10 lbs and you REALLY start believing what the book says. You think...at this rate...I will lose 100 pounds in 6 months! However, then for most of us, something happens...the weight loss slows down...or it even stops...and we start getting discouraged! What is happening? The good doctors told us we'd lose!!!!!! Have we at this point set ourselves up for failure? Perhaps. Was it intentional? No, I don't think so! People want so badly to believe what they read. Now don't get me wrong here, I'm not bashing the Eades. I think they have some very sound medical advice, have done wonderful research, and presented a plan that CAN correct many medical conditions. I am personally using their plan and have been feeling good on it.But... should they talk about this kind of weight loss? No...I don't think so.( I don't believe that ANY plan should tell you how much you're going to lose). But it does "sell" the plan better than if you said...You'll lose lots at first but then you will slow down and maybe stall and perhaps not lose anything for months at a time! I mean, who would want to start a plan like that? Most people start this WOE to lose weight and when that doesn't happen like they thought, they get discouraged. I think that after you've been on this plan for an extended period of time, you start to see that the benefits are not just about weight loss..there are many wonderful things that start to happen...but some people don't give it enough of a chance, because they start feeling like they've failed or this isn't working, and they give up! I don't want to offend anyone with this post and I don't think its a problem that JUST the Eades have. I think this problem is rampant in the "diet" industry! ( And this whole post is just IMHO)

Bawdy- You are absolutely right! This is a matter of learning and maybe for some of us, doing it over and over again ( I guess that not only am I a slow loser, I'm also a slow learner...lol). But for each time that I come back, I learn something from my mistakes and hopefully in the future I will not do those same things again! I hate those people that say...Oh when you stop low carbing, you'll regain all your weight. Well hellooooooooooo....if you stop ANY plan and go back to what you were doing before, you'll regain all your weight. It's not just lowcarbing!

Ewinpa- I'm trying to play with calories. I KNOW that if I eat as many as they say I should have, I gain weight. I just need to figure out how much to cut to get some weight loss going, but not go too low to stop it from happening! WTG on getting that exercise in. I'm hoping (keeping everything crossed that I have here) that I can get back to the gym this week. So far the ankle is still sore, but maybe a miracle for tomorrow? I'll still go and do at least an upper body workout though!

Well, I think I've taken up enough space for now...lol Hope e1 has a great restful week-end!