#8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-01, 11:11
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Wink no problem Sandi

daikon, also known as long white radish, lo bok or oriental radish, there have been endless discussions in the Lowcarb Kitchen forum , and many of them in the last couple of days. Here's a link to my recipe for the hashbrowns .. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...=&threadid=4437 .. and here's a link to a picture of daikon that I posted .. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...=7089#post97953 .. so you can recognise it at the grocery store. If you absolutely cannot find it, then just substitute ordinary red radishes, the common kind that you can buy everywhere ... they lose their bite and become very mild and sweet-tasting when cooked. You'll also see in the thread about the hashbrowns that Rachel came up with the idea to add a handful of crumbled pork rinds, which I have done to add a few more calories/protein to my menu. (for me, I weighed the daikon, 4 oz., 1 green onion and 1/3 bag pork rinds, and cooked it in 2 Tbsp bacon drippings. I scrambled the eggs in the same pan - after putting the hashbrowns on the serving plate - to get the last bit of fat and flavour)

You will have to adjust the portion sizes to get the higher calories. Uggh, and good luck (from one chronic undereater to another )

Cilantro is a fresh green herb, also called coriander or chinese parsley. It looks like parsley, often with the roots still attached ... when you rub the leaves, the scent is like grated orange peel. Some people don't like it, I've heard it described as tasting like soap .. .. It's a staple ingredient in Mexican, and East Asian cooking. I love it. Here's an article about it, with a picture .. http://www.cnn.com/2000/FOOD/news/09/11/cilantro.lat/

Easiest way to add calories is to bump up the fat intake. A Tbsp olive or canola oil or bacon drippings has 120 calories. If I can't eat all the protein foods today, I will make up the difference with oil. No kidding, I will sip it off a spoon if I have to. I am so SICK of being stalled, and doing everything right .. and I am determined to do this right to the letter and make it work.

For the thai-curry - 1 c. cauliflower, 1/2 medium red bell pepper, 1 clove garlic, 1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger, 1 Tbsp canola oil to stir fry in, plus 1 tsp toasted sesame oil added at end for flavouring, juice and grated rind from 1/2 lime (on the seafood) I usually just throw stuff together according to whim, so sorry that it isn't a proper recipe. 1/2 cup canned coconut milk ... add at the end, and stir over med. heat till thickened a bit. Serve with a handful chopped fresh cilantro over all.

hope this is helpful, and as the weeks progress, I'm sure you'll get some ideas and recipes of your own that will fit in. Use the Fitday.com and plug in your planned menus a day or two in advance, and then you can see where you need to increase fat, or cut back carbs etc...... that's how I've been doing it. At the top of the Fitday page, where you select the foods eaten, you can click on the forward >> arrows to advance to the next day, or days and weeks ahead, and so your menus are all there and ready to go.

Doreen