View Single Post
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-04, 05:30

Plan: Intermittent fast/Lowcarb
Stats: 251/199/180 Male 5 ft 10 inch
BF:
Progress: 73%

The awful truth is that yes, some people are very likely going to over-indulge on the processed LC products, fail, and believe that the LC lifestyle doesn't work (or at least not for them).

Companies, particularly in the US, are quick to sense a shift in consumer sentiment. They will rapidly shift to fill a perceived (or created!!!) void in the market. That's all you are seeing with the LC products. Of course it they aren't doing this out of altruism, it's to generate a profit. They also stand to lose profits if they don't offer LC products. So they're going to continue coming, like it or not. And we, the consumers, are one element of the picture.

Of all the posts responding to your initial question I think I agree most with Lisa, who seems to have a balanced view of these processed foods. As I've said in other posts, I don't have a philosophical issue with processed foods. Just because something is natural doesn't mean it's good for you. Just because it's processed doesn't mean it's bad for you.

I will say this though. Living LC takes significant time out of my life. I spend much more time now researching foods, preparing them, and looking for recipes than I did before I cared about diet. I also now exercise. Not everyone who wants to lose weight the LC way has great quantities of free time. For such people, a LC microwaveble meal / candy bar / shake / etc. might be a godsend.

Just a few thoughts (and it's fun to play devil's advocate .

Oh yeah, and thanks for the excellent, thoughtful post!!