View Single Post
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-04, 21:56

Plan: Moderate Low Carb
Stats: 288/240/150 Female 5'0''
BF:
Progress: 35%

Happy Belated Birthday and welcome to the forum. I found your intro quite entertaining, if the dr. thing doesn't pan out you could consider writing a column. I've been thinking about your glycemic index question. It reminds me of a question I had when the in thing was low-fat. For awhile the thing was to not count calories but count fat grams and never eat anything that was more that 30% of the calories from fat. So I wondered---If icecream has 50% fat and green beans are 0% then is green beans a la mode 25% fat and thus fits into a lowfat eating plan? I think your question is actually a little more logical becuase it is the basis of some food combining plans like Sommersizing (Did Susan Summers ever have a size problem?). I follow the Insulin Resistance diet and the idea behind this plan is to limit the amount of empty carbs and always eat them with protein to keep your insulin from spiking and your body from going into fat producing mode. For every 15 grams of carbs you eat you must eat 7 grams of protein, no more than 30 carbs can be eaten at a meal but the amount of protein, veggies, and some fruit is unlimited, you must wait at least 2 hours before eating carbs again, and never eat carbs without protein. So far, I am pleased with the results but I don't know how it will work in the long run. The one thing that I think is great about lo-carb eating is that it seems to control the need to constantly eat. I was always a binge eater and by keeping my insulin lower I seem to have better control over my eating.

Anyway, just wanted to say welcome and Good Luck!
Christy