Old Sat, Feb-07-04, 06:14

Plan: high fat low carb
Stats: 215/152/150 Female 5ft 5in
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klodomir

And we still haven't learnt portion control

There still is no easy way. We still have to use moderation, variation and exercise, or we'll never succeed. Otherwise we'll all meet again in 10 years on a forum for yet another new Way Of Eating, lamenting how we were misled by the low-carb "experts".

Like Alina in Germany, we're lucky in the UK not to have easy access to low-carb products. But I know that artificially sweetened drinks, gum, and sweets spike my appetite as much as the real thing, and I avoid them. For me, it's not a question of portion control but of learning to avoid foods that interfere with my natural appetite. That's what Atkins has taught me--as long as I keep the carbs low, I can trust myself to eat the right amount without thinking. In my experience, people don't eat too much because they haven't learned moderation, or portion control ( how many people really couldn't put the right amounts on a plate if asked?), but because they are eating foods which ginger up their appetites. Appetite is an incredibly powerful instinct, and you can deny it for only so long. The longer you overeat carbs/appetite stimulants, the greater the problem becomes, because it leads to insulin resistance and impaired glucose tolerance and an even more out-of-control appetite.

I also think that bingeing is more than just psychological. Eating disorders often seem to start with low-fat dieting, and I wonder if so many would get into trouble if they started on a low-carb diet instead (assuming they stayed off the processed stuff). If the current low-carb trend continues, perhaps we will see a reduction in bingeing disorders in future?

As for variation, I agree real food is the best way. I eat half a slice of bread a day (traditionally made) and a little 70%chocolate, and these don't cause any problems. A LITTLE of what you fancy....
Sponsored Links