View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 15:35

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

I agree with your assessement and I have worried about exactly the same thing as you.

One thing I would like to add, a different way of looking at things if you will. We have focused a great deal on carbs as being the culprit of the obesity epidemic. Often I find myself wondering if it's not so much the carbs themselves as the fact processed food has taken over the market in the past 30 years. People spend a larger and larger percentage of their food budget outside the home. Even WHEN home they often bring home take-out and junk food. All these foods are chock-full of additives: Processed and refined carbs, Hydrogenated fats, MGS, preservatives, chemical additives of all sort. We have been putting aside natural foods in favor of this stuff in greater and greater proportions. We simply aren't feeding our bodies the way it needs to be fed. Is it any wonder we are unhealthy and fat. All the healthy natural food in our diets has been displaced by nutrient-poor replacements that are either poured out of a box or taken home from the restaurant

It doesn't help that the big food corporations heavily advertises their processed junk. It carries their largest profit margin. No one advertises meat and veggies. Along with their junk they also promote the idea of snacking. Snacking is something that is so pervasive in North America, no one even questions it anymore. When you get a snack attack, you feed it --- usually with junk food -- an idea that was encouraged and maybe even created by the junk food pushers of the world. What's wrong with just downing a big glass of water in lieu of a snickers. Or simply, God forbid, ignoring the mild hunger pang and waiting until the next meal. I think a lot of people are simply scared of being even a little bit hungry.

I think also there is something about processed food that doesn't satisfy you. I don't know if that's because your body somehow recognizes that it hasn't been fed properly. Or maybe it's simply the flavor and quality that is lacking. When I eat a McDonald meal for example, I find that it gives me a slightly queasy feeling. I find myself, in those instances, wanting to eat again. The meal simply left me unfufilled, even though my stomach is full. I get that feeling when I eat something that is truly of mediocre quality. Most big chain fast food restaurants leave me with that feeling. I am lucky in that I live in Montreal. There is never a reason to eat in any big chain with all the excellent and cheap restaurants that are available. I know that not everyone is this lucky.

Well this turned out to be much less focused than I wanted, but I guess you can call this my 2 cents worth.