View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 10:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

I think it's a good point that you will not reap any of the benefits with as much success if you do not follow the "whole foods, not processed foods," philosophy that was the heart of Dr. Atkins's concept.
For several years I thought I'd "gotten it" when I was eating food pyramid and exercising madly, and had my weight under control. It worked so much better than my binge/starve cycle, for instance!
A severe illness that cut off my exercise showed me the shortcomings of this approach...without exercise, my food pyramid was slowly crushing me!
And I found it harder and harder to keep staying away from fatty foods...they tasted so darn good...and I was so darn hungry...that Dr. Atkins came along in good time and rescued me.
For heaven's sake, there are people blaming fast food places for their overweight! We find this ridiculous, but some people will not be sensible as long as there is something else to blame.
So as long as low carb products come down the pipeline, there are people who will eat those instead of their usual junk, and I think they will be somewhat better off with more protein and less carbs.
Whole foods, not processed foods, is a philosophy that still applies.