View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 21:14

Plan: SB (formerly Atkins)
Stats: 196.5/167/140 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 52%

Well, Diet Coke has sweetener in it, quite a bit, I imagine. I'm pretty sure that one can of Diet Coke probably has the allowed amount (3 servings) of sweetener for one day. That being said, I occasionally will have more than one pop in a day. Not very often, though. Oh, and the sweetener is aspartame (NutraSweet), which stalls some people, though no one really knows why.

Tea is less of an issue but still has some carbs, I believe. Fitday would have the amounts, probably.

Now I'm going to give you my little lecture on WHY WATER IS CRUCIAL TO WEIGHT LOSS. See, when I started Atkins, I'd heard my whole life how water is important, but no one ever really said WHY. "Just because" is not enough for me; it never has been. So I did a quick bit of research, and this is what I found out.

The kidneys act as the body's filter, and they cannot do their job efficiently without enough water. (Enough being at least two quarts a day.) Yes, you're saying, but what does that have to do with burning fat? Well, it's the job of the liver to metabolize fat for energy. Here's the kicker: if your kidneys do not have enough water to filter your blood, part of their job is shifted to the liver. Since your liver is busy doing other things, it cannot also metabolize fat.

Essentially, don't drink enough water, and you most likely will not lose, or you'll lose at a slow rate. My third week of induction I drank only pop and did not lose a pound. If you're going to choose between tea and Diet Coke, though, choose tea. It's by far the lesser of the two evils.