View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 08:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 264.0/146/139 Female 5' 6
BF:
Progress: 94%
Smile May I Introduce Myself?

Hi! I am Volgal (the gal that is a University of Tennessee Volunteer Fanatic) and I have been on Atkins for the last 14 weeks, since October 27, 2003. Prior to that, in May, I was referred by my primary physician to see a surgeon that specializes in gastric-bypass surgeries. At my first meeting with the surgeon, I was informed that I was indeed a candidate for the surgery since I was 100 pounds overweight (I weighed 248 on that day) and since I was on medication for high blood pressure and high cholesterol. From that initial meeting, I then met with two of the required consultants: a registered dietitian who explained to me what my diet would be like following the surgery; and a psychologist who had to write a letter stating that I was fully aware of my decision to have the surgery and that I was sane (rather than being mentally impaired, I assume).

To make a looooooong story short, I was turned down my insurance company for financial coverage of the surgery. From there, I really got depressed and starting eating whatever I wanted whenever I wanted and I even started drinking more than my usual two-three glasses of wine in the evenings. I was feeling sorry for myself and the more sorry I felt, the more I ate.

In August, out of the blue, I decided to stop smoking ~ please don’t ask me why. My husband and I were walking through Walmart one Friday night and I just blurted out: I think I will either stop drinking or stop smoking. My husband just stared at me in disbelief. Whatever or whoever it was that guided me along to the pharmacy counter, I thank you again. When I bought a box of patches and on August 7, 2003 that was the last time a cigarette has been in my mouth ~ ~ and, after smoking 1-2 packs for 40 years, YES, 40 years, that is amazing!!

In October when I had fully gone through the 3-step program with the stop smoking program, I thought to myself ~ okay, I did that, now what? Stop drinking? Go on a diet (again)? I figured since I had not failed in stopping to smoke (and no, I never really had any cravings or problems stopping), that I could succeed in about anything else I wanted to do. BUT, I love food ~ how could I diet again. So, I quit drinking. Now, don’t get me wrong, this was no big deal either, however, my husband (an ex-Tennessee football player) and I have not missed a Tennessee football game (away or in Knoxville) for more than 18 years!! So, therefore, I did miss my drinks at last fall’s tailgating affairs. Nevertheless, alcohol has not touched my lips since October 17, 2003.

Okay, smoking ~ quit, alcohol ~ no more ~ ~ why not go all the way? On Monday, October 27th I was in the most pitiful place a person like us can get ~ rock bottom ~ ~ and really, I think that is what it takes!! From that moment on, I have been a faithful, free-cheating, low-carb Atkins Program follower.

When I saw the gastric-bypass surgeon in June, I weighed 248 ~ by the time I committed to Atkins, I had jumped up to 262 ~ ~ Now, I am in my 15th week of the Atkins Way of Life and I have lost 44 pounds and I have 88 more to lose to get to my goal of 130. I am already 1/3 of the way there!!

Hallelujah!! Praise the Lord!!
Sponsored Links