View Single Post
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 17:53

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

Thank you for sharing this, ItsTheWooo! I appreciate it and am really trying to "get it".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheWooo
Set points are very real, and everyone has a unique set point.....

Do you know if there any way of determining an individual's set point? How did you come to the conclusion that you were at a set point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheWooo
Leptin is an anti-starvation hormone, and fat cells produce leptin. Your body has a set "leptin sensitivity" threshhold; meaning, your body expects a certain amount of leptin to be circulating. When leptin is too low your body thinks it doesn't have enough fat.

What do you mean by "to be circulating"? Is leptin produced when a fat cell is filled or depleted...or does something else trigger it?

Based on your theories, it would seem that folks who have a lot of fat could go quite low in caloric intake and still be successful. The key would be to know when we are taking in enough "material" for the body to be able to repair itself. How could that be determined? I believe the fat fast is kept at 1000 calories. Assuming that 4 of the 9 from fat are discarded, that really is quite low then.

Thanks for educating me! I truly do appreciate it.