View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 12:04

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%

$50 is about the industry standard.

How many sessions did you sign on for?

Even if someone only took 3 sessions from me, I would:

- Do a fitness test/analysis
- Take measurements/body composition testing
- Take a health/family history questionairre
- Evaluate your goals
- Design a program with your goals in mind
- Discuss your nutrition plan

Our sessions would execute the plan I designed.

With most of my clients, I would outline a whole program for at least 12 weeks and would tell them when they could expect to be able to "graduate" to the new phases. Even if they didn't stay on with me, at least they KNEW what they needed to do to reach their goal.

Of course, I kept the only copy of the plan ... they won't buy the cow if you give them milk for free ... LOL

When training "beginning beginners", it is easy to say that the trainer isn't doing much - beginners can't be pushed as hard in the gym ... However, with beginner's the trainer should emphesize proper form and tempo on the exercises, and proper breathing technique.

Since not as much is going on in the exercise area, the trainer really should be educating you about proper exercise. Having an article/handout for you to go over each session in addition to your exercise is a good idea ... Either talking about it during the warm-up and cool down, or in an office after the workout ...

Also, the trainer could stretch you out ... or at least stretch with you and ensure that you are using proper form for your flexibility training.

If you add all of that up, it is well worth $50.

I just hope your trainer is doing all of those.

While there are no national guidelines for certification of personal trainers, some agencies are more strict. There are alot of good trainers out there ... you just need to be sure you get a good one.