View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 16:23

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
common sense tells you that cutting out all carbs and turning to supposedly “healthy” deep fried chicken and low-carb beer is not the path towards a healthier lifestyle.

Ummm...and common sense would also tell one to actually read a book on low carb before giving an opinion. KFC may be promoting their chicken as "low carb friendly", but no low carb plan that I know of does. She gives the impression that this is all low carbers eat (and I suppose for a few that haven't bothered to read up on low carb that might be the case), but I can't remember the last time I had either one of those items. What I do eat a lot of is healthy fats, vegetables, proteins and some fruits.

Quote:
More food coupled with less physical activity can only result in one thing: gaining weight.

I don't suppose diet composition might have something to do with it as well, would it? What is it that Americans are eating more of? Hmmm..let's see...could it be SUGAR? We know it's not fat since fat consumption has been steadily declining for the past 3 decades.

Quote:
What do carbohydrates do? The recent boom of low-carbohydrate and even carbohydrate-free diets and foods has left many wondering if carbohydrates are necessary at all? The answer is a resounding yes, according to Fitzgerald.

“We need them because they are our primary source of energy,” she explains. “They are the fuel that makes us go and keep the processes in our bodies going.”

I must be a medical anomaly, then. I'm at about 20 grams of carb for the day and just completed 45 minutes of heavy snow shoveling (all that wonderful heavy stuff that the snow plow leaves you as a gift at the bottom of the driveway when they come through). Wonder what my body was running on?
Strangely enough, I'm more able to perform this activity more easily now than I was when eating far more carbohydrates. Must be the weight training; oh...wait...that's something else I should't be able to perform on 30 grams of carb per day according to this "expert".

Quote:
According to Fitzgerald, low-carb dieters may not get enough fiber, which keeps us regular and reduces the risk for heart disease, some cancers, and diabetes. Without eating carbohydrates from plant sources like fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and beans — foods limited or banned on low-carbohydrate diet plans — we cannot get enough fiber into our diets to meet today’s increased fiber recommendations.

Hmm...another oddity. I rarely have trouble getting my 25 grams of fiber in each day (hint...they're not coming from fruits, whole grains and beans). Veggies generally have way more fiber than the rest of those foods that Ms. Fitzgerald listed as well as far more nutrients and often the lower glycemic veggies have the most fiber. Grains provide very little in the way of nutrition as opposed to vegetables.
Seeds and nuts, OTOH, do provide a lot of nutritional benefit as well as fiber and are allowed at all stages of Atkins except the 2 week induction period and on some other low carb plans right from the beginning.