#5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 14:50

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyJourney
The funny thing is that has never been the case with me. Whenever around other people I would barely eat a thing and whenever I was alone I would have horrible binge eating sessions.

I'm the exact same way. Alone, I'll generally eat considerably more than compared to in publich and with company. For me, I guess it's because I'd prefer people not to be privy to how much I actually eat and enjoy food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyJourney
I remember as a kid I used to think my parents wouldnt love me if I got fat. I would hear them making fun of fat people, telling me never to gain weight and that if I did I wouldnt be able to get a good job or get married etc. I can only imagine other families speaking this way in private and little children listening to that and being influenced by it. Of course my family was dysfunctional lol but the sad part is, I am sure there are so many other families like that out there it breaks my heart to think about it.

I can relate here vividly, as well. I'd never characterize my family during my upbrining as dysfunctional; but, I can recall when both my parents used to say to my sister and I, "don't get fat otherwise the other kids won't like you and tease you." Even my mother would impress that upon us and she was kindest and most benevolent person I've ever known in my life. She knew from experience growing up the negative stigma attached to being overweight; and instead of sanitzing the issue for us, ensured that we realized the consequences of being obese and would naturally through our own volition do whatever necessary to avoid being so.

Would that be too harsh and not exactly "politcally correct" in our modern age of heightened sensitivities? Probably, but I grew up in a very different era--and, thankfully so!