#11   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 10:44
Ex-Patriot

Plan: CAD-ish
Stats: 232.5/199/168 Female 5'2"
BF:no/earthly/clue
Progress: 52%
Default sleeping

Hi there...you've probably seen me on the wine addiction thread, in addition to a few other places around the forum.

I finally got serious about cutting down my drinking when I realized how long it was going to take me to lose this weight, and how little I would be able to eat, if I continued drinking at the same levels. The calories start adding up with potentially horrifying results, once the wine gets to more than about a glass and a half per day. So I sort of bit the bullet and committed to abstaining 6 days a week and having one "free day." So far this has been going on for a month with good results. The weight loss is moving again and I have tons more energy--plus, I'm really happy about the long-term investment in my health.

I do miss the wine a lot sometimes, especially when I feel keyed up and can't seem to relax, but so far the fat loss has been worth it.

Anyway, I totally understand about the sleep thing. It can be very hard, when you are used to wine-drinking in the evening, to get to sleep without it...especially for the first few days. I found Melatonin to be incredibly helpful in this regard, to get me over the hump, as it were. I use it for jet lag and when I want to make sure to get enough sleep at night. I take 3 mg, 12 hours before I want to wake up in the morning. I'm usually asleep within an hour or two of taking the pill, and I sleep through the night and wake up refreshed.

However, melatonin doesn't work the same way for everybody. Some people get no effect from it at all.

FWIW.

Emily