View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 09:27

Plan: SB (formerly Atkins)
Stats: 196.5/167/140 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default My "Cheat" Rules

I was reading a thread about "cheating" last night, and it made me think about how I view high carb treats. First of all, I try not to use the word cheat when referring to eating something that is not on my usual menu. To me, it's not a cheat, it's a choice. And low carb is not a temporary diet for me; it’s a way of life. To believe that I will never, in the next (hopefully) 60 years or so, have any high-carb foods would be naïve on my part. (YMMV, of course; this is one of those areas we each have to navigate with caution.)

I have clarified and formalized my thinking about this issue into a set of personal rules. I haven’t been low-carbing very long compared to some of you (though I’ve learned a lot from this forum), so these rules may evolve over time. For now, though, here they are.
  1. I will not be a slave to the crave. I will not eat a high carb food in response to a craving. That way, I think, lies madness.
  2. Corollary to rule 1: My first response to a craving will be to eat a high-fat, moderate protein snack. My second response will be to eat a low-carb version of whatever it is I want.
  3. I will plan my indulgences. I will calculate their cost coolly and logically in the light of day, to determine each time if it is worth it to me.
  4. If I have a bad reaction (cravings, feeling sick) to a food once, it is on probation. Twice, it is suspended until I am at a different stage of this WOL. Thrice, it is gone for good.
  5. I will eat something with plenty of healthy fats and protein before indulging to mitigate the effects of a high-carb food on my blood sugar.
  6. I will eat no more than one regular size serving of the food.
  7. I will only eat a treat if I really want it. I will not let others’ guilt cause me to eat something I know I shouldn’t, and if it doesn’t taste good to me, I won’t finish it.
  8. If I screw up, I will not use it as an excuse for a free-for-all.
Sponsored Links