View Single Post
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 08:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 295/247/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 32%

My doctor wanted me to have this done back before I began to lose weight. I had tried low fat because I had done Atkins years before and was having a hard time motivating myself to do it again as I have a family of six. I only lost a few pounds in the last few years trying to do this. Then 8 mos. ago I developed a pretty serious heart condition. Now my doctor really wanted me to have the gastric surgery to get the weight off before my heart surgery. I still said no. As of October he said he'd give me six months (as long as my heart condition stays stable) to see what I could do on low carb since low fat did not work. He came right out and said he did not think I could do it! I have lost 48 lbs. and am now under the 100 lbs overweight you have to be in order to qualify for the surgery! He can't try and force the issue anymore. I know of people who had this surgery, lost weight, had complications, still ate high carb, stretched the surgery back out, and gained the weight back and are even more unhealthy than in the beginning.

I can't wait to go see my doctor in April and let him see that I you can lose weight doing it low carb versus the traditional low fat way.