View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 18:04

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi DYBlowcarb!

Sorry to hear about your harrowing trip to the ER and your resulting surgery! As far as what you can eat, you're going to have to gauge that for yourself, I'm afraid. About 10% of people who have their gallbladders removed have problems with higher fat percentages following surgery; the remaining 90% don't. The only advice my surgeon gave me following my gallbladder removal was to eat whatever I pleased and if something seemed to bother me then avoid it. I don't have a problem with getting even 70%+ of my daily calories from fat. About the only things that give me trouble (lots of gas and belching) are sweet peppers and popcorn. Others here will tell you that it causes them no small amount of distress to eat that much fat, but instead they continue to low carb at a somewhat lower fat percentage.
I'd say go back to how you were eating prior to surgery and see how you feel. If it causes you problems, then start cutting back on the fats until you feel comfortable.
As for the discomfort, I'm assuming by your quick discharge that you had the surgery done laparoscopically. I had mine removed that way and was somewhat tender for about a week, although the worst of the discomfort was probably during the first 3 days and got quickly better after that. Then again...I have a high pain tolerance, so my experience may not be typical.
Hope you feel better soon!