View Single Post
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-04, 20:00
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Thanks Woo for posting that. I was afraid I'd get egged if I did. Good analysis of their claims. I was very suspicious when I saw someone suffering from classic symptoms of a sinus infection being told it was just her body trying to get rid of "toxins" and she shouldn't undertake the antibiotic treatment her doctor was recommending.

It's easy to just assume that anyone that speaks authoritively about things we're not experts on, is an authority, but there's a lot of people with agendas we aren't aware of promoting extreme positions. You gotta ask yourself, why? Are they selling a book or a service or promoting a certain sort of industry or are they just fanatical about their beliefs?

BTW: We might be getting lots of REAL estrogen in our drinking water and fish and such because of women on birth control pills excrete it and it gets into the water supply. I heard some guy that has been going around the country testing for it saying that it is pretty prevalent.

The other thing I hear is that phytoestrogens might actually be beneficial to women because they bind to estrogen receptors in place of the real thing.

In my feeble understanding of it, they cause the body to respond only somewhat as if a true estrogen had locked to the receptor, causing a much weaker response because the fit isn't perfect. Which, some reports I read, said that might actually reduce estrogen related cancers.

But then again, it is good to stay skeptical because if you dip into the research you'll also find that mice fed soy had more estrogen related tumor growth than ones that weren't fed the soy.

I am a little afraid that people are jumping on the soy bandwagon prematurely. I know i did. But on the other hand, it is a little early to be saying soy is terrible too.

One study doesn't prove anything. Often studies are flawed or biased. They need to be repeated and tested and summarized and it is a slow process from what I understand.

I'm a lay person, but I do love being an arm chair spectator of science.