Old Sun, Feb-01-04, 19:12
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I'm rather interested in where the Funding for The Weston Price Organization comes from.

Oh here we go: http://www.westonaprice.org/funding.html

Reading random stuff on the site, sounds like a pretty holistic, natural products, supplements promoting site with a bent towards promoting saturated fats. I think they're probably right about some things, not about others.

I agree.

The first thing that strikes me is how I found their request to redefine the food pyramid so poorly written worded and unprofessional. Then I read the content and I was sure these people were motivated by some unscientific agenda (either that, or not all right upstairs). It seems clear to me they are motivated more by an unscientific belief that natural foods are superior to any food which is processed (this is obviously not true: there are many toxins and poisons in nature, and not everything processed is deletarious to health), and thus they are strongly against all foods and food derived products which are unnatural. That, and they are also heavily funded by if not a front for the holistic market.

Much of their evidence against soy, protein isolates, and other "bad foods" were drawn from exaggerated (example: they claim protein isolates are "so processed" that for some reason or another that they don't bother to explain, these amino acids are now are "useless" to the body) or specious claims (example: they went so far as to say soy, not genetic racial/familial difference, is primarily responsible for the trend toward much earlier sexual maturation of minorities). They are also quick to point out how their detractors are funded by industry, but they neglect to mention they are funded by the holistic product business.

Like Nancy LC said, they do offer some valuable information (such as their information about phytoestrogens and their effect on the endocrine system of susceptable persons when found in excess), but the whole site is just full of half truths and exaggerations to the point where the org's claims are just ridiculous (for example, their conclusion is that all people should avoid soy like a poison since soy is high in phytoestrogens; however they NEGLECT to mention that phytoestrogens are present in ALL plant foods. Broccoli, an extremely healthy anti-oxidant rich veggie, is also very high in phytoestrogens).

As with all things, moderation is called for. Soy should probably be eaten in moderation, but not avoided all together. Saturated fat should be eaten in moderation, but it should not make up 50% of our total fats (!!). Balance is the key, and I notice from reviewing my food journal that my fats are usually in equal balance. That is natural to me. IMO, they are just as wrong as the USDA.