#9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-17-01, 14:52
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Food Combining

Well, I've typed up two big, long, detailed posts here, and crashed both times, losing everything, including my mind. This is my third and last attempt...

Anyway, I too dabbled in food combining a la Fit for Life. However the original concept of separating foods that require different digestive processes was developed by an American Dr. William Hay, in the early 1900's. His program, known as "Haying" was in fact, much closer to what we now know as the Paleo Diet. He suggested the diet should be based mostly on vegetables and fruits, supplemented with lean meats, fowl, fish and eggs. Soured dairy products were preferred, such as yogurt, buttermilk and fresh cottage cheeses. Dairy butter only and pure olive oil, no margarine. Grains, breads, baked goods and especially legumes/pulses were frowned upon as being difficult to digest and the cause of much evil in the intestines. Under no circumstance were they to be eaten at the same time as simple to digest meats. Vegetables and non-sweet fruits however, were "neutral", and could be eaten with any food.

In the '80s, the push was on to a more vegetarian, grain-based diet; meat and cholesterol was Public Enemy Numero Uno. Fit for Life, and other similar plans took the original concept of separating foods, and completely changed it to the "modern" philosophy.

Fats, not meat protein, slows the digestive process. When lowcarbing, this is beneficial for providing satiety, and to slow the blast of carbohydrate into the bloodstream, which would otherwise cause a rapid rise in blood sugar and insulin.

Deb, the cravings will disappear, honest. Browse through our member's recipes, and Karen's gourmet recipes (on the red menu bar at the top of the page) or check out Lowcarb Cafe, and Lowcarb Luxury, among many others. You'll find many recipes for lowcarb substitutes for pastas, breads, etc .... Many folks report how healthy, and energetic they feel when lowcarbing, then cave in to craving and go on a wild carb-binge. They feel sick, bloated, gassy, blah ....

Wow, you're giving up caffeine too?? What a woman!

Doreen