View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 21:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 340/269/200 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 51%
Default Sleep apnea

Anyone who qualifies for the TDC is at risk for sleep apnea. I'm sure some of us (like me) are being treated for it. My concern is for those here who need treatment but are not getting it.

The symptoms of sleep apnea (snoring, excessive daytime sleepiness, frequent urination at night or bedwetting, waking up gasping for air, elevating resting heart rate) are more than just annoying. Longstanding untreated sleep apnea can lead to irreversible heart failure. It's also very difficult to lose weight while suffering from sleep apnea due to irritibility, utter fatigue, and increased stress hormones (which decrease metabolism and cause carb cravings).

The treatment is easy and safe. Basically, you learn to sleep with a soft mask over your nose which supplies gentle pressure to your airway to keep it open while you sleep. Once you realize how good it feels to sleep well at night, the mask becomes your friend.

Hopefully, as I come closer to my goal, my sleep apnea will be cured. Since the process can take a long time, I'm glad I finally decided to get treatment to help me in the meantime.

HTH!
Sponsored Links