#9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 17:19
Registered Member

Plan: PP
Stats: 186/129/125 Female 5'4"
BF:30.5%
Progress: 93%

Hi everyone,
Renee.....hugs to you....and tons of prayers. I had been praying since your message earlier in the week, but more so today. If I were there, I'd give you a BIG hug, but a cyberspace one will have to do. {{{{{hugs}}}}
Things will sort themselves out--they always do.
Kat, I belong to Curves. Joined Apr. 14 last year, 6 weeks after I started LCing. It's been great for me. I'm 54, extremely unathletic (in fact have always hated exercise) and know I would not last in a traditional gym. I find it very unintimidating, quick and effective. I had my monthly weigh-in and measure this week. I have lost 40 lb since starting Curves, 30 lb. of body fat, my body fat reading has gone from "very poor" to "good", and my measurements have gone down something like 41". I go 3x weekly faithfully. Only times I missed were the week recently when I was away. Even times when I'm away part of the week, I make sure I get my 3 visits either before or after I'm away.
Along the same line, I learned something important this week, that has the potential to be scary too. As I said above, I've always hated exercise, but in the researching I did for the LC WOE before I started, I realized that like it or not, I was going to have to exercise. About 10 days before I started LCing, I started walking at a nearby mall. Started at about 1 1/4 miles a day and gradually worked up to 3 miles a day. 6 days a week. Then the mall quit supporting the walking problem and I moved outside (this was in Aug.) so I walked 3 miles 7 days a week. In the fall as the weather grew less walk-friendly, I started using the Walk Away the Pounds tapes by Leslie Sansone. I would either walk outside or do a WATP tape 7 days a week. Also joined Curves in April and workout 3x weekly. In Sept. I added a firming video also by Leslie Sansone 3x weekly on my non Curves days. This video, by the way, I credit with shaving nearly 2" off my waist in the first 2 weeks I used it. Now that is the sum total of my exercise and I don't plan on adding any more. I think it's fairly well rounded. Not overly energetic but I have no desire for a program that's going to leave me exhausted and sore.
I was away for 10 days and other than walking, did no exercise. Came home 2 lb. lighter. Great! But VCR wasn't working when I got home (husband decided to watch TV and pushed wrong buttons). That means no firming video and no WATP. So I went back to walking at the mall. Except their Sun. hours don't work for me and there have been 2 days I've been snowed in.
My weight has remained the same as it was when I returned from my trip. However, this week I was horrified to discover that one of my pair of jeans didn't fit the way it had been. Very uncomfortable sitting. I'd last worn them about 3 1/2 weeks before when they were fine. They were so bad, I couldn't wear them. AHA! Well, it proves one thing. I have to keep up ALL the elements in my exercise program. Fortunately our 12 year old niece solved the VCR problem yesterday and I'm back to firming video and WATP. I feel less bulky already (probably psychological).
The scary part is what happens if for some reason I cannot continue my exercise program. What if I have to have surgery or get an injury? Could be laid up for quite some time. The prospects of that are not pleasant to think about, so I won't.
Anyway that was a rather long story that was sort of an epiphany for me. I had sort of hoped I might be able to ease off on the exercise once I reached maintenance. Not quit--definitely not, but maybe not quite as much. Doesn't look like it.
This has been an absolutely awful week weather-wise here. Snow squall warnings or winter storm warnings all week. Rural schools sent kids home early on Mon. and they were closed Tues., Wed. and Thur. Did go back today but really no better. Very nasty. And more forecast for tomorrow. We're about 50 miles east of Lake Huron and when those prevailing west winds start blowing, we get dumped on. I sure hope Wiarton Willie (our groundhog prognosticator) doesn't see his shadow on Mon.
Have a great weekend, everyone.
Marjorie