View Single Post
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 10:08
Lurking LowCarber

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 203/182/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 40%

The Atkins recipes also plug other products as well.

Quote:

Macaroni and Cheese
Click link for recipe

The challenge: Recreating mac and cheese—the comfort food second only to mashed potatoes—without relying solely controlled carb pasta. The solution: To balance the chewiness of controlled carbohydrate pasta, we added cooked cauliflower florets. Together, the two create a mouth-feel similar to wheat-based pasta. To offset the underlying sweetness of cauliflower we made the sauce with extra sharp cheddar cheese. ThickenThin Not/Starch Thickener [an Expert Foods product], rather than cornstarch or flour, thickens the sauce, giving it a creamy consistency.
They also provide choices and suggestions.

Quote:

Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie
Click link for recipe

The challenge: Creating a fruit pie that is relatively low in carbohydrates. The solution: We used rhubarb, a relatively low-carb vegetable that cooks and tastes like fruit. Rhubarb is often paired with strawberries in a traditional springtime pie. But with frozen rhubarb and the year-round availability of strawberries, this pie can be enjoyed anytime. Blueberries or raspberries may also be substituted for strawberries for variety. ThickenThin gives the pie consistency, and is the carboydrate controlled alternative to cornstarch. We've kept this version on the tart side, but if you prefer sweeter desserts, add an extra packet or two of sugar substitute. This pie is delicious topped with whipped cream sweetened with sugar substitute or Atkins Sugar Free Strawberry syrup.
We know from reading here and other LC sites there are many other options than those listed in any recipe. Everyone will have their favorites, some of those being Atkins brand or Keto brand or any of the various other LC brands that have invaded the market.

Dana Carpender's book (like many others) has a section in the front that talks about different ingredients, without much mention of specific items. A book like this might not be as beginner-friendly, judging from the questions I've seen in various forums and newsgroups (where people are asking "What is...?" and "Where do I find...?"). The Atkins book, on the other hand, by laying out specific ingredients, could possibly be a better choice for someone starting the LC WOL.

I am certainly not trying to sell the product, as I have my own reasons for not purchasing the book. I think if we're going to rip articles to shreds for not having all the facts, we need to make sure we're not guilty of doing the same.