Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 08:05
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

It'stheWoo

Quote:
Myth #3 is accurate when applied to moderate obesity, but I am sorry there is no way you can be 100 pounds overweight without eating too much for your personal metabolic needs. There is no way for your body to slow down its metabolic processes enough to save the 100s of so extra calories it requires to build and sustain that much fat mass.

I have to disagree with this. This goes back to the disproved theory that a calorie is solely an energy unit and if calories in are less than calories utilized you'll lose weight. While it's true that you can eat too much for your metabolic needs, I think an obese person's metabolism can become so efficient at utilizing calories that he/she can actually gain weight on a calorie amount close to what would be considered starvation levels for a more normal weight person. I know. I was on a 700 calorie diet for three months and gained weight on it. I did not cheat. In fact, I increased my weight for a few years while eating an average diet of 800 calories while, at the same time, walking at least 5 miles and 3 1/2 hours of exercise per week.

I read in a book once that obesity and the potbellied look of the Biafrans are both due to malnutrition, the body not getting the proper mix of nutrients that it needs to survive and thrive, which is not purely a matter of calories. That statement made a profound impact on me.