#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 19:24
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default Goal weight does not mean....

I wanted to start this one in response to the myths about fat and thin threads. I think some start diets with unrealistic expectations, and can't see thier progress as a good thing because it's never enough. This isn't directed at anyone at all, just some general things about all diets.

Goal weight does not mean...

1. Your relationships will suddenly become wonderful
If someone is treating you with disrespect they will continue to no matter what your weight is. The problem is probably with them.

2. I will look toned like a fitness model
That takes alot of hard work and exercise. Yes you can look toned and sleek, but it will take more then just diet

3. When I hit goal weight I won't have any problem areas
There is a great thread on how it can take up to 6 months after you finish losing weight for the weight to redistribute. Until then you may have fat and skinny areas. It also can be genetics and factors such as children. Some things just aren't correctable short of surgury no matter what your weight is.

4. When I hit my goal weight I'll find Mr. Right.
There is no Mr. Right, just someone who is right for you. He also probably won't fall into your lap just because you've lost weight. Instead start working on confidence building exercises now. Maybe you'll meet your ideal mate much sooner then you'll reach goal and you shouldn't pass up the opportunity.

5. When I hit goal weight I will have self confidence.
There are skinny people with no self confidence or self worth, and there are overweight people who love themselves for who they are. A number on a scale won't change how you feel suddenly. Seeing the results of hard work can build confidence though and working to build your esteem with nicer clothes or going out more can help at any weight.

6. When I hit goal I'll feel comfortable in a bikini.
Comfort level comes with self confidence. Until you learn to be comfortable with yourself, it doesn't matter what you wear. There is also the issues of stretch marks and loose skin which have to be addressed if the weight loss was fast.

7. The faster I reach goal weight the better
We all want it, and want it now. Slower weight loss means less stretch marks and lose skin. It can also mean developing healthier eating habits for life and a better likely hood of keeping it off in the long term

8. when I hit goal weight I can eat what ever I want.
Not unless you want to get back to the previous weight you were eating those foods.

9. When I get to my goal I will never slip off the wagon and I will stay there forever.
This is a positive additude, but a little harsh. We are all human and may slip at times. There is also weight gain and loss related with hormones, seasons, and other factors. If you gain a couple pounds, it's not the end of the world, just another step in the journey.

Anyone else have things they expected at goal they now know won't be absolutly true, or thigns they have heard others say?
Sponsored Links