View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 21:43
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 345/304/240 Male 5'9
BF:20.72 %
Progress: 39%

That's an interesting way of looking at it Diane. As heavier people we have that added weight we carry, which becomes an issue when we workout. I also think we are more susceptible to injury as heavy people.

Like you suggest, beginners are probably building strength as well as cardio. As Jerry said, in time as you get used to your routine, your workout will have to change to keep improving. Plus the weight workout schedule he suggests is a good one.

In another post someone made a very good point by saying as a beginner, walking slowly may be an aerobic workout for that person. It may not be aerobic technically by what the books say, but for the person doing the workout it sure is.

I have a thought when it comes to telling heavy beginners how to workout or what is good for them. I know there are all of the technically correct theories when it comes to weights and aerobics, progressive training, etc. And I agree with all of that, but I wonder if we get too deep, it may scare off the people we are trying to help.

What I mean is, does it maybe help by keeping things simple at first? I think a person is more likely to start an exercise program if all they have to do is a little bit, by telling someone that all they have to do is walk a little 5 days a week and that will help to lose weight and get fit.

Compared to telling them that they really need to be doing cardio for more than 30 minutes per day, at such-and-such heart rate, at such-and -such speed, and so on. Which is all true, but I think at a certain level, all a heavy beginner really wants to hear (and responds to) is: just do what you can and it will be enough.

Know what I mean? I don't know if I'm too clear on that or if I'm just full of hot air.