View Single Post
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 17:23
Phoenixa

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 164/136.6/132 Female 172/5'8
BF:Yes.
Progress: 86%

I would agree with it as the "diet plan" (I see it as changing my way of eating [WOE] for life though, not a "diet" - except for Atkins Induction/phase 1) logically makes sense to me from a biological aspect.

We don't have the same obesity problems here in Scandinavia/Northern Europe as in the U.S (yet!) and the eating habits over here have historically been closer to LC:ing/low "GI:ing". The fast food/junk food phenomenon (in combo with the "lowfat craze") which seems to be so deeply ingrained in the American lifestyle since decades only recently started to root over here, which has resulted in a galloping % of overweight related illnesses amongst our population. That said, our lifestyle in our modern Western society as a whole is designed around "convenience", as we strive hard to avoid any kind of movement, from remote controls and nifty gadgets for everything, jobs based on working in front of PC's all day long/ rationalization of manpower tasks etc etc. (In the US it's even worse, with all these "drive-ins", delivery services, the vast amount of convenience foods/shake/bake/schmake mixes etc.) We seem to - as if we were toddlers - be driven by "immediate indolent need satisfaction" (don't know how to translate this to English properly) and we lack patience.

So the combo of modern man with sedentary lifestyle consuming refined carbohydrates obviously will have this effect on our bodies (and minds - enter Prozac.) Hence, going back to our "roots" in our WOE is a start. That said, we also need to address the issue of not using our bodies for what they were built to do - manual labour.

Just my 1 cent rant.